Friday, May 26, 2006

Bankroll Fun

Well, after figuring out the costs involved with AC, and some other expenses that need to be paid through poker money, looks like my bankroll is not particularly healthy.

It's going to be a unique time in my poker career right now as I struggle to battle back to a respectable roll. Granted, I've done it before, but now my real question is how.

Plugging away at low limits seems like the most consistent answer, but obviously a tournament score (like I know I am capable of) would be the quickest way to do it. So here's my thought process:

1. Play FTP and PS primarily because they offer low-money satellites to their major Sunday tournaments, and the nightly cheap rebuys offer an inexpensive way of making some cash as well. This is especially the case with PS -- win one double shootout and you have low-limit tourney/satellite bankroll dollars for weeks.
2. Play low-limit cash games (including proven money winners like O8, Stud8 and Razz) to cover my satellite/tournament expenses and create gradual bankroll increases.
3. Try for additional roll increases through selective bonus whoring (William Hill, etc.).

The hope is this system will work out, but I am always willing to hear suggestions. This is more work than fun, but that's OK as I think I can learn a lot about the game this way.

And for those of you wondering why a recreational player is worrying about a bankroll -- it's because I promised my wife I would not dip into our mutual money ever again to restock my poker bankroll. I intend to keep that promise, but I spent too much on the last trip and need to pay it off. Therefore much of the current bankroll is directed towards paying off the costs of my trip and some other things.

No comments: