Monday, May 08, 2006

Anticipation

Taking a short break at work to ruminate. We had a big defense verdict Friday so I think I am entitled.

I have deliberately avoided live poker since my trip to Niagara Falls (with the exception of one tourney in which I busted on the fourth hand with pocket Aces -- I raised huge and he caught his set of fives), because I want to make sure I have enough money to play in Atlantic City. However, without my regular live games, I find I miss the feel of chips, the fun of trying to read my opponents, the atmosphere of a classy card room. Therefore, I am really looking forward to sitting down in the Borgata in about 11 days. I should have just enough money to have a good time and get some solid tournament and cash play in. Here's hoping I stick to the basics and play my A game, or this may become a microlimits blog instead of a small stakes blog ;)

On the online front, however, things are not "progressing," as indicated in my last post. This downswing has teeth, and I hope it ends soon. Not only would it be helpful to my bankroll to win some more money online (in fact what I would really like is some tourney dollars to isolate the bankroll from rebuy/satellite swings), I'd simply like to have a good night or two before my trip just so I feel a little more confidence. But I think the downswing was bad luck, bad play, and tilt from those two creating a spiral.

I therefore think taking the past few days off will work wonders. I think I burn out if I play too many days in a row, especially lately when I've been trying to earn instead of learn and enjoy. My wife has certainly appreciated three days of undivided attention, but then again she pretty much hates poker. Thank God she loves me, or I would never get to do this thing.

I look forward to re-entering the battle fresh tonight or tomorrow night. Wish me good fortune and good focus.

No comments: