Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What happened to the fun?

I hesitated posting this, because I'd like to think I am a nice guy who does not stir the pot. However, this is supposed to be my "online diary," right? Well then, no intent to offend, but here's an issue I have been having lately.

I occasionally play in two private tournaments hosted by a member of one of the sites I post on regularly. It is my understanding that he put them together so that people from the site could test their skills against each other and have some good camaraderie. One was open to anyone who could find the password, the other had been more exclusive until recently. As they only cost $10, they are not high stakes and should not be a bankroll issue for anyone who plays in them, so everyone could focus on having fun together and playing good poker against good players. There were even leaderboards and other fun ways to measure ourselves against each other and for "bragging rights" at live events.

Unfortunately, the games have become more and more unpleasant, as certain elements have decided to play contrary to what I believe were the orginal goals.

One player admits he acts in a certain fashion in order to get a rise out of other players and to tilt them so he can capitalize on that. Others taunt, and not in our typical sarcastic fun fashion. Some players are easily tiltable and go insane when anyone dares disagree or say anything in jest or otherwise that might be interpreted as an "attack." All in all the experience has become increasingly unpleasant.

I actually watched a player call his table assholes last night because of something someone else posted hours earlier on a completely unrelated topic. Where's the fun in that?

I understand that some of this is just the vagaries of online play, but I've played with the folks who come to our live events and the vast majority aren't like this. In fact, some of the people who are acting in this fashion aren't really like this. Perhaps it is the act of placing fingers to keyboard that makes people forget decorum, but it's not fun anymore. There is not point in blocking half of the players' chat in order to tolerate a game -- I'll just post and IM with my friends and play in a satellite or something.

So, anyway, still love the sites, hate the private games. Good luck to all those who still play them, and I do hope they improve in character and tone. Maybe some day I can play them again, because I do enjoy playing with my friends.

No comments: