Saturday, June 17, 2006

Actually, I was Going to Post it as a Bad Beat but it's Really Rather Creepy

Decide to play a bit of live tonight. Off I went down the hill to the local tournament (literally there is a tournament every Saturday half a mile down the hill from my house).

Played pretty well considering my cards. Got AK once, threes once, tens once, and that was it for about the first hour and a half. Finally I am forced to push in LP when short with A8, and the guy with A2h who calls anything calls out of the BB. My hand is good and I am up to 14k with blinds of 400/800.

I get A9, two callers. Flop A 9 4, two spades. Button donkey call my flop pot be. Turn 4, I bet pot again, he calls. River 2s. I decide he caught and check. He pushes, I fold after tanking, he shows a 9 so he probably bluffed. That's life, but I am down to 8k.

I get short again, and end up pushing a ragged flop with middle pair and two hearts. The SB calls. With bottom pair and a 5 high flush draw. Of course that hits and IGHN. Should have pushed preflop, oh well. Out 11th for nothing, but I win the 50/50 amd I am free rollin', baby! Don't ask, 50/50 tickets are my leak.

Speaking of leaks, I decide to play a little cash. Sit down in 1/2, get it up to 2 buy-ins or so when my Aces hold up against K8 (he had top pair and a flush draw, not sure why he called 16 preflop but hey I dodge his outs). Then it limps around to me in the BB two hands later and I have a suited jack. 6 players, I rap.

Flop K5J, two hearts. Middle pair and a flush draw. Checked to MP who bets 15, I call with another person. Turn is a black J. I bet out 40, fold, reluctant call. River brings my flush, I push, he instacalls with his limped Kings. So that's twice in three days I lose most of my stack with limped premium pairs from middle position. Creepy. I know the possible hands of Axh and KJ should have had me checking or betting smaller on the river, so don't feel like I don't know I played it badly, but why do my limps with Aces or Kings never work out that way?

Next hand in the SB I complete (with 25 total in my hand) with suited 45. Flop comes A36, two clubs, I push (double up or go home at this point, open ended good enough). One caller. He has 25 clubs. Gutshot and a 5 high flush draw. Club on the turn.

How does one lose to two five high flush draws in one night? Creepy.

One thing I learned is that I am much better at paying attention to body language in a tournament. Now that I reflect, Mr. limped Kings was oozing weak is strong tells and I missed them. I should have seized on the bad acting and slowed down. Oh well, money poorly spent, but I had some fun and listened to 80s music.

No comments: