Sunday, June 18, 2006

Now That's a Shame

Call me crazy, but I had the notion that a blogger tournament would include good poker play.

Boy that was wrong. I suppose my new saying should be "those who can't do, blog," because the play in the Blogger championship was atrocious. Unfortunately I was fully unable to capitalize, because I only got a few playable hands in the first hour and a half. I was able to work my good hands a bit and doubled up through grinding and some steals with decent Aces. That put me about middle of the pack with 800 left.

It was a shame that I could not get anything going in the 215 early either. The good part of the sat system is I can play for cheap. The bad part is that others can play for cheap and play very, very crazy the first few levels. I had to make some laydown early and was at 1200 an hour in. Had to start pushing. So A2 v. 77 v. AK. Shocking, I lose -- too short to follow my "don't push with Ace rag" rule, and of course I run into a pair and a better Ace.

Back to the blogger tourney -- I sucked out twice in a row and got myself to $16k with 350 left. So sorry ToddCommish and obsoleet, I felt pot committed in both ;). Nice to meet a reader, though!

This hour saw me grind away and get up to $25K with one double up -- middle ace against underpair. Lost some, then got back up when my K7 in the big blind got bluffed all-in on the flop. He had a gutshot and I had top pair and I survived. Treaded water until the break.

And then I lost on the second hand after the break when some moron calls my push with Q10o and catches. People are idiots. Out 100 something of 2200, so I guess yay me.

OK, sorry about the can't do, blog thing. I know quite a few bloggers, especially the ones in the weekly tourneys, are good players, but boy several of the folks that made the tourney sucked. Maybe it is because several admitted to starting a blog just to try this tourney. However, in fact it seemed like people were willing to go to war with bad hands, middle pair, and any draw. I hope it was the effect of the freeness, because otherwise it's ridiculous.

2 comments:

Alceste said...

Since it was open to all bloggers and not just poker bloggers (allowing folks like me to play), I was expecting to see a pretty wide range of playing styles/levels. I was frustrated by all the no-shows. Only having a table with 5 of 10 people there for the first hour was a bit annoying.

Gydyon said...

Good point. You had to be able to steal with some abandon for a while though.

Also, my play wasn't all that amazing either, I was just commenting. I sucked out a few times to get my stack and then lost when the blinds caught up to me on a flop steal bluff. I just didn't think someone could call me with top pair crappy kicker for 90% of their chips.