Friday, July 21, 2006

The Grind

Actually the current grind is work-related, not poker-related. GG job.

Played very little this week, but I have to say that low-limit PLO is a freaking gold mine. I am having a ball playing it on FTP -- really the only time I have been profitable on that site because I am not token chasing. I have run really well without really gettin gany amazing starters. Just bet your big hands and call small bets with your draws and it's automatic.

I have read that playing mixed games can improve your hold 'em game because it stimulates a good kind of creativity and keeps you focused on reads because board texture can matter so much more. I hope that's right.

Although the PLO has been fun, I must once again criticize FTP. Their structures for limit tournaments are preposterous. Perhaps it is simpler to use the same structure for all, but just because split pot tournaments can last forever does not mean that you should keep the structures for the other games so disgustingly fast. I lost two hands in Razz and was completely shortstacked. That's silly.

I am going to focus on cash games for a bit, I think. I have always known that they are a more solid money winner in the long run, but I enjoy tournaments more because they are suited to my game and because they can be exciting. However, I am not going to improve unless I play more cash games and different situations, so let's get to work. I will still satellite into the big tournaments and play small tourneys now and then, but I think it makes more sense to play cash.

Also, playing cash means I can sit out without consequence. Although we have been spending more time together lately, my wife may get a new job, and so our time together will be more precious. She's been pretty supportive over the past two years, and I don't want her to ever get the impression I would pick poker over her, because I never would.

OK, I hope everyone has a good weekend. I am spending a lot of time at parties and other stuff, so it should be fun.

No comments: