Thursday, January 18, 2007

Not Sure I Understand

I have apparently broken my short post setting in the translation to the new template. so I apologize that older posts now have links to nowhere......


What is the continued purpose of cracking down on online wagering? The Republicans who sought to crack down on that "evil" are out of power now, aren't they?

Nevertheless, for those in the fold who play mostly online poker, you likely have heard by now that the feds arrested the founders of Neteller this week, and this has resulted in Neteller pulling out of the US market earlier than expected.

I simply don't get it. Let me note a few salient points.....

I pay all my taxes. I vote every term. I give thousands of dollars to churches and charities. I donate my time to worthy causes. I do not smoke. I rarely drink, and just about never to excess. I have never cheated on my spouse. I don't steal office supplies. I've never visited a prostitute or done an illegal drug of any sort, ever.

I brush my own teeth. I wipe my own ass. I balance my checkbook and provide for my wife and upcoming kids. I visit the doctor when necessary, and look in on my family members. I do my own home repair and improvements.

Despite those facts, the United States Government is zeroing in on someone like me as a 1) criminal and 2) someone who cannot take care of himself or make his own decisions.

Why in the hell can poker sites be publicly traded, celebrated companies across the sea, but are the source of modern evil here? I understand some of the concerns over sports betting, but why is playing poker something the US Attorney thinks is worthy of so much time and energy?

I hate to sound like Nancy Pelosi, but we are fighting a war of vital national importance on three fronts, and yet we are using tax dollars to go after and restrict folks who throw fifty bucks on a poker site. How can that ever make sense?

No need to get into the legal particulars, as others have done better than me already. I simply expected more from my government, especially from a lame-duck law enforcement arm trying to cram square pegs into forty-year old round holes.

I certainly hope this wakes the PPA up.

And don't even get me started on Neteller itself. It shut down InstaCASH. Fine. But now to get money out you have to use a Neteller card. Which carries a sizeable fee per use. It's Firepay all over again. Disgusting.

I know I am just venting to vent now. Calling my Congressman will do little good -- he's been in office two weeks and it's the Justice Department taking these steps anyway.

It's stupid, stupid, stupid.

No comments: