Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Was Right

Unfortunately, I still lost about half a buy-in.

Played last night in a local cash game with some old friends. Great to see them again, and overall I think I played pretty well. However, I have noted a couple of issues with my game (I suspected these issues previously, hence the "I was right" above), I think in a timely fashion for a trip to Foxwoods....

1. I do better with 100 Big blinds than I do with 50. I should never buy in short, and I am glad my game increased its limits.

2. My game is well suited to playing in postion and calling preflop. It is also suited to making my raises on the turn, rather than on the flop.

3. I can't play for more than about 6 hours straight without needing a break.

I was in for 2 and a half buy ins, got back up to 3 buyins, cashed out for 2 buyins. If I had left after 6 hours, I would have had a decent profit despite getting drawn out on a few times.

4. As usual, if I deliver a beat, I go on a sick rush immediately thereafter.

I would have cashed out pretty good if one hand had turned out a bit better...

I am in the BB with 887J, two clubs. Flop gives me middle set, a straight draw, and backdoor clubs. Turn give me the club draw as well. The pot grows so that I am all in. Although I have a decent idea that I am behind to top set, I knew no one was in for runner runner clubs and the pot was so big that I decided it was worth the risk (I was being offered more than 3 to 1 with 9 clubs, three nines, and the 8, plus the chance that I was wrong about the top set and a board pair would also get me there). I was right about top set and I bricked on the river. I don't think I played the hand great, but overall once I got where I was I felt I had to call.

No comments: